Enjoy the wonderful crispiness and delicious taste of fried chicken, a homemade staple that pairs well with mash potatoes and fresh green beans. This is the perfect dish to bring the whole family together, and it takes no more than 30 minutes to prepare.
Prep: 10 minutes | Cook: 14 minutes | Total: 24 minutes | Serving Size: 4
Here is what you will need:
- 6 cups soy oil
- 1 whole (3-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 4 large egg whites, whisked
- ½ cup matzoh meal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon finely ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon Fried Chicken Seasoning
- Chicken gravy, for serving
- Mexican honey, for serving
- Fill a large pot with oil. Heat oil over medium-high heat until it reaches 375 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer.
- Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry with paper towels. Place egg whites in a large shallow dish. In another shallow bowl, combine matzoh meal, flour, and baking powder. Dip each chicken piece into the egg white mixture to coat; let excess drip back into the dish. Then, coat each piece of chicken with matzoh mixture to coat; tap off excess.
- Working in batches if necessary, fry chicken until dark golden, about 10 minutes for breast meat and 13 minutes for leg and thigh meat. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Mix salt and pepper and sprinkle over chicken immediately; coat each piece with chicken seasoning. Serve immediately with gravy, if desired, and honey.
For more quick and easy recipes visit the Savings Blog.