The snow, ice, and overall coldness during this time of the year can put a damper on day-to-day activities. From having to defrost the car before you head to work or checking every door and the window for drafts to cover up will make you appreciate warmer temps any day.
However, in the meantime, here are several hacks you should know to get you through the winter with ease.
1. Wine bottles or pool noodles will help to stand your boots up straight.
2. Did you know that you can use a lighter to heat the key to thawing a frozen lock?
3. Before you consider donating your favorite sweaters because of the lint and pills. Use a razor to shave them off.
4. Keep the cold air out of your home by using 3M Indoor Window Insulator Kits. You will reduce the loss of heat, saving energy and money.
5. Make your ice and snow removal solution rather than using salt that can damage the concrete in your sidewalks. Instead, use 2 quarts of rubbing alcohol, 1 cup of warm water, and one teaspoon of dish detergent to pour over your walkways.
6. Use toothpaste to clean the lights on your car. Visibility is important.
7. Feel a cold coming? Rub Vicks Vapor Rub on the soles of your feet and cover with socks to minimize coughing.
8. If you have ceilings fans in the home, set them to spin clockwise to push warm air back down into the room.
9. Create a homemade defroster using dishwashing liquid, vinegar, or rubbing alcohol. Learn how to make the solution here.
10. Prevent wet socks by slipping a sandwich bag over each one before putting your shoes on.