Let there be light—and at excellent price points that allow us to update our illumination schemes guilt free. Sure, the big box stores are sporting sales to entice us, but everyone is on to those, and you might end up with just the same bulb-holders as the Joneses. To give your decorating a chance to shine, RedPlum is focusing the kliegs on five online spots for snagging lighting fixtures—at a significant savings--that you might not have thought of. In short, ways to lighten up in these darkish financial times.
- Lighting Universe: True to its name, this Web portal runs the gamut from trad desk lamps to LED pendants to otherworldly sounding Krypton and Xenon bulbs. We are particularly gaga for their impressive array of floor lamps.
- Home Anthology: Five thousand square feet of actual retail space in Catonsville, Maryland, specializing in mid-century modern translates to an abundance of online offerings with a tight focus. No need to visit if you don't have a thing for Alvar Aalto types, but if you've got a bad case of modern love, you've got options galore, and unlike E-Bay, a guarantee of authenticity. You're going to pay more for these one of a kinds (though not nearly as much as if you've bought them brand-new!), but the investment in an original designer lighting piece means you're upping your overall décor value significantly.
- Ballard Designs: Into the traditional lighting look? You'll adore Ballard Designs massive online-only selection. Looking to indulge in a little glitz and glamour that has more staying power than this season's knock-off Oscar couture? In a year of statement jewelry, consider something like the 9-Arm Grande Claire ceiling candy.
- Amazon.com: Who knew the massive library-like place had so much more than Itty Bitty Book Lites? In fact, we're particularly loving the bathroom vanity selection, many at 75% off retail.
- Lamps USA: The pricey part is the base right? So why not consider customizing your awesomely adaptable bulb-holder with a new—and exceptionally price-friendly at as little as 25 bucks--shade? LampsUSA's humongous online selection of topper is grouped by color, a very nice touch when you're looking to accessorize and update with the season's hottest hues (lavender shantung anyone?) or sure-to-make-you-smile orange stripes?
"Questions? Ideas? We want to hear them. Contact RedPlum's editor with feedback and suggestions for savings tips and articles to help you live better, for less!"